How to Join
The primary route for becoming a Fellow of the Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine of Ireland is by completing the prescribed period of training and achieving success at the JFICMI’s Fellowship examination.
A second (less common) means of achieving Fellowship is by admission as an ad eundum Fellow – the individual doctor having been assessed and approved by the Faculty’s Credentials Committee as the holder of JFICMI-equivalent training and examination. Honorary Fellowship is the only other category of Fellow. Regulations pertaining to Fellowship can be read in sections 6 and 7 of the Faculty’s Memorandum and Articles of Association.
Registration and Membership (Consultants and Trainees)
The following subscription rates apply:
- Consultants full rate – €180 per annum
- Overseas consultants – €90 per annum
- Trainees of CAI, RCPI, RCSI (incl EM) who become a registered trainee of the JFICMI – Initial registration fee €100 then €100 per annum
The trainee rate changed in 2018 to an annual fee which applies for the duration of (supra specialty) training in Intensive Care Medicine (one or two years) and afterwards as a Fellow until such time as consultant grade is achieved.
Please use the JFICMI Registration Form for trainees. When downloaded and completed and mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, your application will be reviewed with a view to registration with the Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine of Ireland. Successful registration entails full access to the JFICMI.ie website and other benefits which include:
- Access to nominated JFICMI Supervisor of Training (SOT) and Trainers at your JFICMI-recognised training hospital – see ‘Training’ for list of hospitals
- Access to training plan discussion at the beginning of your ICM training (minimum of two months) module
- Prioritisation of agreed, planned training competency achievement(s) at the outset of above training module(s)
- Review (and sign-off) with SOT and Trainers of your training progress at end of term using the Joint Faculty’s on-line logbook / competency record.
- Advisory and training support in preparation for the JFICMI’s Fellowship examination.
- Priority access to the JFICMI’s obligatory educational events e.g. IDAP and Critical Care basic echocardiography courses.
- One free JFICMI refresher course
- 10% reduction on educational meeting fees
- Free access to the JFICMI’s repository of online resources at JFICMI.ie
- Access to the Joint Faculty’s Training Committee via your SOT or your Trainee representative.
- The right to vote (and stand for election) for the ICM Trainees’ representative position on the JFICMI Board.