The Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine of Ireland is running a one-day course on the Management of Brain Death & Organ Donation. The aim of this course is to help clinicians remain optimally skilled in these important areas of Critical Care Medicine. As such, we aim to develop leadership in the area of brain death diagnosis and organ donation. We also aim to ensure that potential donors are recognised & the option of organ donation is explored where appropriate.
Date: Friday 12th May 2023
Free for FJFICMI exam candidates
• Targeted primarily at senior trainees in Critical Care Medicine who seek to attain FJFICMI
• Suitable for all consultants and trainees in Critical Care Medicine & Anaesthesia
• Background to brain death and the associated ethics
• Focus on recognition of brain death and potential for organ donation where appropriate
• Didactic & practical aspects to Clinical Brain Stem Testing
• Expert opinion on optimisation of management of the potential organ donor
• Communication techniques with relatives – what to say and what not to say
• Practical information on how the organ donation process works
• Discussion on Donation after Circulatory Death (DCD)
Applications for this course will open on Wed 22nd March 2023.